Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Ra Ra Research

Just had some groups the other day and I was struck by how polite we are to consumers. How we take everything they have to say at face value and never challange them.

Oh, we may ask "why do you say that?" or "what makes you think that?" but do we ever say "really? are you sure?" or "I'm sorry, I don't believe that."

Strong language I know, but I'm worried we are indoctrinated to believe that the unadulterated word of the consumer is god when, as we all know from our own experience that most of what we say is unadulterated rubbish (perhaps I only speak for myself here...)

I think it's fair to say consumers sometimes just say what comes to mind, then try and justify it - and that with a bit of a prod we might get them to admit that and look at things in a new light.

Regardless, I want to see more moderators challanging the consumer to defend their thinking - to throw in counter examples, or ideas from other categories. Whilst it may not save duff work, it might help better to understand why it was so terrible.

No comments: